Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Need Some Help Here

I have come up against the hardest one yet in the reuion adventure, not belonging. My daughter has been to visit me and my small family (husband, mother, sister, brother-in-law) several times. My mother and sister are incedibly happy and my husband really likes her. It is much more than them just being supportive of me. They all want her in their lives. It sounds perfect except she feels so much like an intruder. I understand parts of it and why it would remind her of what she missed and how it is difficult to feel like she has an important place in our lives. For those of you that are old enough to have seen/read The Little Match Girl, I think that is what she is feeling. I don't know what to do to help. It hurts both of us.

4 comments:

Mary said...

an adoptee here, the fact your are willing to talk about it is great! I've added you to my blog list.

Unknown said...

I think it reunion takes a ton of patience. I get overwhelmed fairly easily being with my natural family.s

Anonymous said...

I commend you taking the stance and finding out. I know that I am an outsider at times in my adoptive family. I haven't found my natural mother yet.

elizabeth said...

I never felt like an intruder. I was prepared to demand my birthright, and my rightful place in the family, but it turns out I never had to.