Friday, May 9, 2008

Once Born, Twice Rejected

A fellow adoptee just got the infamous REJECTION letter this week. When I read the words her mother wrote to her, I could feel my insides tying themselves in knots. I wish I didn't know how it felt to hear words like that. I wish that no adoptee ever had to feel that kind of pain.

Yet, in getting to know my Fuzzy Rat Mother over the past three years, and getting to understand her thought processes - from being deeply entrenched in the fog to coming out on the other side - I have to admit I have a certain amount of empathy for this adoptee's mother, as much as her letter pissed me off. I wish I could run to this woman's house, bang on her door, and scream at her until she understood that she is hurting herself as well as her daughter. But I know there is nothing I could say, nothing I could do, and that just kills me.

This woman loves her daughter, but she can't let herself be loved...she doesn't seem to think she deserves it. Or something.

I just hope, perhaps beyond reason, that this woman will somehow, some way decide to open her door.

She doesn't know what she's missing.

2 comments:

Ungrateful Little Bastard said...

Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

hi would love to hear from anyone of you who has been like me completly rejected by their adoptive parents. I was big time. gill66