Friday, May 16, 2008

Today I am a Lucky Bastard

I know I have whined on here before about my aparents' complete and utter apathy about my upcoming graduation and how my feelings were so hurt...but get this.

They arrived here this afternoon for graduation #2, two days after my fuzzy rat mother left. Which felt strange in itself for all kinds of reasons. Anyway, my son and I met them at their hotel and we all went out for dinner and were drinking margaritas and...

They were DIFFERENT....like in a good way.

They actually were asking about school, what I was doing, about my friends, and said several times that they were PROUD OF ME. Yes, that's right. They said they were PROUD OF ME. Both of them. I was speechless. We're talking VERY significant words here. I haven't heard those words for at least 20 years.

The really funny moment came after a round of margaritas when I was explaining to my mom how hard it was to get into that insane school and told her about my friend that is double majoring and graduating at 19 because she is just a beautiful fucking genius (I mean, she REALLY is). My mom said, "Who ARE these people?" Then she looked at me and said, "How the HELL did YOU get in there??" And I soooooo got what she meant and was laughing right along with her. Because I have thought that very same thing so many times. I was such a flake the first time I attempted to go to school. My parents always knew deep down I was a nerd but that I rarely applied myself and got rather shabby grades in college before this. Then my mom said, "Well, it doesn't matter WHEN you did it, it just matters that you DID it and we're proud of you." And then she said something about how hard music was, (she took piano lessons for many years and was pretty impressive at one point), and that she had been worried about me because she knew how hard it would be and she was worried that I wouldn't graduate because of it.

Um, excuse me, did someone go and do brain surgery on my parents? These aren't the same people I have known for 38 years.

Anyway, after we left, they pulled up next to my car and my mom got a greeting card out and said, "Here, this is for your graduation." And I opened it, and it was the sweetest, most loving card. They signed it, "We are proud of you! We love you. Mom and Dad." And inside was a very large check. Large enough that I don't have to worry about anything for a while. I couldn't believe it.

Suffice it to say, I turned into a blubbering crying mess right there in the back seat, but they were happy tears. It wasn't about the money....it was because for the first time in many years, I felt like they really do love me.

Yes, I am a lucky bastard tonight. My fuzzy rat mother loves me and so do my parents. I get extras.

I just wish my fuzzy rat mother wasn't at home hurting right now, wishing she could be here. But I hope she reads this and feels good. If I know her well enough, I think she will.

1 comment:

The Fuzzy Rat Mother said...

You do know me well enough. I did read it and I do feel good. We made the right decision about graduation and I feel really good about it. They do love you and are proud of you. I love you and am proud of you. Hugs and kisses and be very proud of yourself today and feel all fluffed up.